Friday, October 14, 2005

Involvement Begins At Home, or Something Like That



The theme for this year's event is Learning Is Delightful and Delicious. As, by the way, am I. - CJ Cregg


I finally got to wear my sweater yesterday. I still think it's a bit big.

A couple of days ago, I sat down to learn a little bit about the candidates for this year's Rockville city elections. I was excited; it would be a chance to participate in politics on a level where I would actually be allowed to make a difference.

Yeah, whatever. Rockville is an incorporated city in Montgomery County. The city government does very little. We established a park to honor Mattie Stepanek, a kid who had a rare form of Muscular Dystrophy. He lived here in King Farm and died last year. He was on Oprah and Larry King and everyone loved him. Who would be against naming a park after him?

I am looking, and everyone seems qualified and I can't tell who to vote for. The issues on this level pretty much include parks and stop signs. I don't think any of the candidates are going to do anything different.

The only thing I know about the current mayor is that he stole my seat at the F. Scott Fitzgerald Literary Conference two years ago. I look at his record, and I don't care that he's a father, a businessman, etc. It's all the same stuff.

At least on a county level you have some real issues, such as welfare, disability, housing, and taxes. Sure the city taxes you, but the bulk of local taxes are taken at the county level. Rockville is a small city in its own right, so there's not much that's of any consequence.

Anyway, because I feel compelled, I will continue to look at the issues and the candidates. I'm amazed that I even know who the mayor is. If we're apathetic about national elections, we're totally clueless about our own communities. There's something wrong about that, and I can't figure it out.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Six Things said...

I don't think Bumpass has a mayor. In fact, I'm sure it doesn't. I am, however, going to look up the mayor of Louisa and ask him why in the fuck the animal shelter turns away volunteers and doesn't even bathe puppies. What a pit. I'm taking over that damned place. Six Things for mayor!

I am enjoying the puppies immensely. I would love for you to meet them in person. Ah, there will be more. I'll talk to you later.

2:38 PM  
Anonymous six things said...

Addendum.

Kick ass about the sweater. I can't wait to see it.

And I believe it's Regime Change, that begins at home. Let that be your reason for getting up every morning.

Start each day by eating a frog. This ensures that nothing worse will happen to either one of you for the rest of the day.

2:41 PM  
Blogger angela said...

You now got a link on my blog-- "The Penalty Box!" :D

~A.K.

7:30 PM  
Blogger Ceirdwyn said...

Bumpass isn't even onepodunk.com. Besides, cities in Virginia can't be part of counties.

But, if there were a mayorial seat in Bumpass, I'd vote for you. How about County Executive!

Six Things for County Executive!

2:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home