Wednesday, February 01, 2006

And he shall, from time to time...



Since I have entered the the knitting olympics, I suppose I'd better come back to you all. Besides, a lot has happened. Hell, I haven't been here since the election! None of my candidates won. Rockville is still a place that Michael Stipe would beg someone not to go back to.

"Partisan politics is what the Founders had in mind. It guarantees that the minority opinion is heard, and as a lifelong possessor of minority opinions, I appreciate it. But if you're troubled by it, Governor, you should know in this campaign, you've used the word liberal 74 times in one day. It was yesterday." -Jed Bartlet


I watched the State of the Union and the Democratic Response last night. There was nothing really surprising in there, except that he actually said that America is "addicted to oil." I loved it when he complained about a bill not passing and the Democrats stood up and cheered.

There wasn't much substance to this speech. It sounded good in spots, but as some reporter at ABC said, the devil is in the details. We need to fund alternate energy sources, true; but what wasn't mentioned is the easiest way to cut emissions, mass transit. He said that Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid need to be reformed; what he didn't say was that he'd do that by making sure that the recipients of Medicaid go from almost nobody to absolutely nobody. He made a lot of declarations that on the surface appeal to the left, but in reality won't serve to help the working poor with no insurance or the disabled.

The last day that I posted, I said that I had sent a letter to Congressman Van Hollen. Well, I got a response to that letter today. I'm not going to gripe about the fact that it took three months to get a personal response. I'm going to be in the paper tomorrow. My fifteen minutes is about to come and go.

Anyway, it's only fair that I post both sides of the correspondence:

Dear Michelle,

Thank you for contacting me to express your opposition to provisions restricting voter registration in H.R. 1461, the Federal Housing Finance Reform Act. I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue.

I share your strong opposition to the provision of this bill that bars low-income housing groups from participating in nonpartisan voter registration efforts. I believe we must do all we can to encourage voter registration, and that provision is designed to block such efforts. To this end, I voted in support of a motion designed to strip this provision while preserving other measures of the bill containing needed reforms to Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. Unfortunately, that motion was defeated.

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts on this matter, and please do not hesitate to contact me whenever I may be of service.

Sincerely,

Chris Van Hollen
Member of Congress

[P.S. removed for lack of content]


I think that's pretty cool. I'm going to be in the Washington Post tomorrow. Last week, a few of my peers and I were interviewed in regards to our problems with Medicare part D. I am not going into detail tonight, I'll post a link to the article tomorrow and respond to it. I think it will speak for itself. The cool part about the article is that Gerry and I got to pose for a picture, too! I shouldn't be excited about this, but I am. I even called my mom.

Finally, I will talk about the knitting olympics. I came across it, and I can't resist. I mentioned it in the Development Committee meeting at St. Luke's, and I will be donating the finished product, a felted tote bag with an attached pouch, to St. Luke's for the silent auction fundraiser on June 8. This is exciting, since I'll for once get to post pictures! Seriously, people, donations accepted to get this poor, knitting, liberal, sporadic blogger a camera! I'd post more, I promise!

Anyway, good night, and good luck.
-M

1 Comments:

Anonymous Six Things said...

He said nucular. Twice. I had to point that out. It makes me want to send a card to the White House that says "Happy Valentime's Day." Lordy be.

12:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home